Should I Upgrade to the iPhone 7?
Published by Carly on Sep 23rd 2016
Should I Upgrade to the iPhone 7?
Now that the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus have had their grand releases, you’re probably thinking, “Should I upgrade?” These new devices from Apple have a list of features that might interest you. We’ll help you decide, which, if either, is the right upgrade for you.
- Water Resistance: Similar to several Samsung devices that have boasted this feature for a while, the iPhone is now water-resistant. What does this mean? Well according to Apple, it means that the iPhone 7 is splash and water-resistant. So, you probably shouldn’t take it for a swim in the ocean or expect to use it under water. However, if you drop it briefly in shallow water, most people say that the phone comes out fine.
- Missing Headphone Jack: As rumored, the iPhone 7 is missing a headphone jack. Instead, Apple has a few options for earphone devices. First and foremost, the wireless Apple Airpods have hit the scene. These wireless ear buds has a 24-hour battery life and also have smart capabilities of their own. The alternative to AirPods is to use a dongle adapter, which converts the USB-C port on the iPhone 7 into something you can plug regular headphones into. This is getting complaints from some and praises from others, so it all really comes down to your preferences.
- Pressure Sensitive Screen: Though the outward design of the iPhone 7 is familiar, the little circle “home button” is no longer a clickable. However, the circle remained in tact in order to maintain fingerprint reading. So, instead of a clickable home button, the screen is pressure-sensitive, (this technology was originally launched on the iPhone 6S).
- Dual Lens Camera: The 7 Plus features a new addition to the iPhone camera, the dual lens. This makes the iPhone 7 plus the first phone to ever use a dual camera. One lens is identical to the iPhone 7, but the second is a telephoto lens, which makes the real difference. This additional lens allows for twice the optical zoom of the traditional iPhone camera, which is just one of many features.
- Faster Processor: The iPhone 7 is definitely bringing speed, with Apple boasting that the device will deliver 40% faster CPU performance and up to 50% faster graphic performance through these devices , when compared to the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.
- Outer Shell: While The outward similarities between the iPhone 7 and iPhone 6 means that they are almost identical phones, there are still some design differences between then. The iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus are constructed with the toughest aluminum that Apple has ever used on an iPhone, which plays a role in the water-resistance of the device.
iPhone 7 vs. iPhone 7 Plus
If you’re feeling compelled by the newest iPhone features and you’re ready to take the upgrade plunge, how do you decide which device to get? There are a few differences between the devices, including price, which will help you determine which one is right for you.
Similar to the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, the specs between the two devices vary slightly, as you can see below. Ultimately, the iPhone 7 has a 4.7-inch screen while the 7 Plus boasts a 5.5-inch screen, which some prefer.
iPhone 7 – 5.44 x 2.64 x 0.28 in and 4.87 oz.
iPhone 7 Plus – 6.23 x 3.07 x 0.29 in and 6.63 oz.
The differences between the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus can truly be boiled down to two things: size and camera. If you’re interested in higher quality, cutting edge photos from your mobile device, then the iPhone 7 Plus is your choice, hands down.
For most people, price is a consideration when choosing smartphones in an upgrade. With this iPhone reveal came a new class of storage options (and prices) as laid out below.
iPhone 7 – 32GB ($649), 128GB ($749), 256GB ($849)
iPhone 7 Plus – 32GB ($769), 128GB ($869), 256GB ($969)
Obviously, if price is a consideration, then the iPhone 7 still offers a phenomenal user experience and the potential for a TON of storage, at a lesser price than the 7 Plus. Whichever you choose, it is clear that Apple has a phone to offer everyone.
Check out our newest line at Turtleback case of nylon and leather holster cases for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus ! No matter which device you decide to upgrade to, we’ve got it covered.